NRGI is hiring a data associate to enhance and coordinate NRGI’s extractives databank, support uptake around NRGI’s data tools, develop data-driven training materials and support innovative data analysis in collaboration with NRGI country and programmatic teams.
The role will coordinate and demonstrate use of NRGI's Extractives Databank, which serves as a data store for staff, stakeholders and the wider public and which includes key extractives datasets generated by NRGI and stakeholders others within the sector. S/he will initiate, deliver and support short-term data projects with team members or colleagues from across the organization in country or program teams. S/he will develop technical documentation, learning materials, blog posts and guides about NRGI's data tools to advance uptake and lessons learned. S/he will assist colleagues throughout data projects from initial scoping to data collection to analysis and execution of analysis.
The role will include room for initiated data projects of interest across sector areas, from project payment data to spatial imagery analysis, fiscal analysis and text mining.
- Lead the continued development of NRGI's databank for extractives data at ResourceData.org. Collect and re-publish datasets from NRGI country and program teams; maintain a technical road map of the project; develop demonstrated use of the data through visualizations and data stories.
- Support data-driven projects across the organization from the initial data collection and data wrangling to analysis to visualization and final presentation.
- Write short-form blog posts related to data projects and/or work with staff to support longer research briefings.
- Develop data use stories: collaborate with colleagues across program and country teams to test and demonstrate NRGI's data tools draft blog posts demonstrating tools and new ways to use data.
- Support development of technical and user-friendly guides and documentation of NRGI data tools.
- Contribute across NRGI data projects on ad hoc tasks.
- Recent graduate in relevant field (business, economics, accounting, political science, computer science or international development)
- Strong data wrangling, data-collection and spreadsheet skills
- Familiarity with statistical computing languages such as R or Python is a plus
- Willingness to learn data visualization libraries and tools such as d3.js, ggplot, Plotly, Datawrapper
- Willingness to learn about open data principles, ability to assess comprehensiveness, timeliness, data formats and data licenses
- Familiarity with the challenges associated with governance and management of the extractives sector
- Willingness to learn about data workflows, ETL processes, schemas and APIs
- Willingness to learn to collect, scrape, clean and wrangle messy and unstructured data from spreadsheets and the web (e.g., using tabula, OpenRefine)
- Strong writing skills and willingness to learn to communicate data stories to NRGI's diverse set of stakeholders
- Willingness to learn, track and manage CKAN and other projects in Github
SALARY: Commensurate with experience.
LOCATION: Washington, D.C. (must be authorized to work in the U.S.)
START DATE: March/April 2017