The Natural Resource Governance Institute (NRGI) is a nonprofit policy institute and grant-making organization that promotes the responsible management of oil, gas and mineral resources for the benefit of all. Improving natural resource governance is one of the most significant development challenges of the decade and will determine the future of 1 billion people globally who live in scarcity in the midst of resource abundance. Countries with non-renewable resource wealth face both a challenge and an opportunity—when used poorly or squandered, non-renewable resource wealth can cause economic instability, social conflict, and lasting environmental impacts; used well, they can create prosperity for current and future generations. NRGI is a recognized leader in the field of natural resource governance, helping people to realize the benefits of their countries’ endowments of oil, gas, and minerals in order to build a more stable and sustainable future. For more information, please visit www.resourcegovernance.org.
NRGI has a staff of nearly 100, supporting our global advocacy and regional programs in more than 15 countries. NRGI has registered offices in New York, Accra, Beirut, Dar es Salaam, Jakarta, Lima and London, and additional colleagues working in Azerbaijan, Bolivia, Cameroon, DRC, Guinea, Hungary, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nigeria, Uganda, Tunisia, and As a complex and dispersed organization, support services which include finance, IT, and human resources serve shared resources to our colleagues globally providing a strong operational backbone that is key to our impact on the ground and to advancing our mission.
Responsibilities and Duties
The organization is seeking an energetic, motivated solo practitioner to lead information communications and technology for NRGI globally and ensure that the operations of the department are in alignment with the needs of the organization. This is a management level position reporting to the CFO, with responsibility for ensuring the continuity of computing services for all end users through effective planning, technical leadership, training, and project coordination. The IT Manager will proactively manage all of NRGI global IT systems, infrastructure, and applications development initiatives. S/he will pro-actively collaborate with users across all geographies where we work to understand requirements and support needs and recommend appropriate solutions. This role will also work to ensure all systems are optimized and that users are fully equipped with the training and knowledge to work effectively within the NRGI IT environment.
This position includes the following responsibilities:
- ERP implementation & Finance Planning system: NetSuite & Adaptive Insights optimization Support and expand existing system functionality for NetSuite and Adaptive in order to optimize the work of the Finance team. communicate with the Finance team to understand their business processes; customize and configure systems accordingly. Provide ongoing recommendations, training and updates to end users on best practices including advanced reporting and searching assistance; develop dashboards and reports on both NetSuite and Adaptive; integrate NetSuite with Adaptive, Namely,JazzHR and other external applications; Manage changes to both the NetSuite Sandbox and production environments and provide assistance to users during testing.
- Help Desk: Perform day-to-day administration of systems and provide help-desk assistance to users, troubleshoot and quickly resolve issues with systems and integration elements as they arise; ensure new staff are fully on-boarded in the use of our systems; testing and modifying systems to ensure that they operate reliably.
- Data Management: Manage and support data imports, data cleansing, deduplication, optimization, and data maintenance efforts. Manage any changes to fields, workflows roles/permissions, page layouts, custom objects, custom record types, reports, and dashboards; document and maintain system-level customizations of forms, custom code, and documentation for any release enhancements and upgrades.
- CRM: Salesforce Implementation: Act as BRM for internal clients,implementation lead, and administrator of the Salesforce database, including modification of page layouts, building reports, dashboards and workflows; create automation and manage data; oversee security and user access; manage standard and custom objects; conduct new Salesforce application testing and implementation; serve as primary contact for all Salesforce reporting requests including support of metrics and reporting, and helps develop marketing campaigns, and others as requested; Continually cleanse the database ensuring data accuracy; identify production risks and areas for improvement; prioritize designs and facilitate successful implementation and adoption of new processes.
- New Application Support: Lead needs analysis of new applications with administrative and program teams and implement applications within NRGI’s IT infrastructure. This includes developing use cases, mapping functionality, interfacing with colleagues internationally and owning the project plan.
- Servers and Websites: Monitor health of web servers and websites including malware, traffic, load balancing, and other resources; Manage and maintain Apache virtual hosts, MySQL database on Ubuntu; Manage and maintain all NRGI domain names; troubleshoot and monitor NRGI main website (Drupal) and other internal online applications; manage server backup, websites backup and database backup; perform restore from backups for servers, websites, and databases.
- Project development and management: Assists in the planning, design, documentation and implementation of various systems including desktop PC’s, servers, network equipment, and software applications; Work with all departments, understand and identify their needs, provide technical support and recommendations for their projects; lead and manage development of internal tools and off-the-shelf applications; develop and lead the execution of testing plans, including any on-site and cloud testing as needed; develop and lead the execution of go-live activation plans, including onsite and on-call support; develop and deliver training as needed
General IT Systems Support:
- Provide leadership and support for all IT services/systems including office 365, Box, MailChimp, Survey monkey, Symantec Endpoint Protection, video conferencing, Slack, databases, and other internal cloud-based tools/applications.
- Manage and provide guidance to third-party IT support vendors including telecom, Internet, copier, hardware/software, network, mobile phone, and IT managed service providers.
- Monitor, support, and maintain network and applications security for all desktops, servers, printers, phone systems, and network (i.e., service packs, software updates, user changes, upgrades, etc.).
- Make recommendations for upgrades, changes, and enhancements for all systems.
- Provide top-tier support for the entire global population in liaison with IT vendors and/or local office administration. Troubleshoot problems reported by users.
- Assist in the organization and inventory of all hardware and software resources.
- Provide emergency on-call support and other duties as assigned.
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to: CFO
Position directly supervises: Various consultants
Indirect Reporting: None
External: Consultants and vendors
Department: Support Services Team
*Position interacts with all management teams across the organization
Qualifications and Skills
Required Knowledge and Experience
- 3-5 years of previous experience as an IT Manager
- Experience with implementation of information systems development, applications, and cloud technologies
- Experience in supporting financial accounting, customer management, and CRM automation software
- Experience with cloud-based applications (SaaS), IaaS and the AWS environment
- Familiarity with IaaS concepts, understanding of fundamentals of version control and Git
- Experience with NetSuite, Adaptive, Salesforce and Box is an advantage
- Comfortable with UNIX systems, especially Linux operating systems and scripting
- Familiarity with container ecosystems such as Docker, Shippable, GitHub and build automation and orchestration tools and comfortable interfacing on DevOps issues
- Experience with LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL/MongoDB, PHP/Python/Perl) and frameworks AngularJS, CodeIgniter, Nodejs, Laravel, Bootstrap etc.
- Ability to work with users across numerous time zones
- Ability to balance technical skills with business savvy – to transform end-user needs into technical and functional requirements
- Experience in employee training and development
- Excellent customer support skills; including experience working in a globally diverse and geographically dispersed organization
- Ability to form strong relationships both internally and externally
Desired, Skills and Abilities
- Distributed Ledger Technology
- Business Continuity Management
- Experience with Cyber Security
- Experience with Drupal and WordPress is a plus
- Experience implementing or developing an effective IT strategy
- Highly organized with excellent time and project management skills
- Demonstrated experience in managing and prioritizing competing demands
- Resourceful, proactive problem solver, self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership and accountability
- Ability to cultivate and maintain strong relationships remotely
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to work creatively in a problem-solving environment
Alignment with NRGI Culture and Mission:
All staff uphold the following organization-wide culture and values:
- Commitment to furthering NRGI’s mission and core values of integrity, intellectual rigor, respect for evidence, innovation, strategic selectivity, and independence.
- Demonstrated ability to be a professional, productive member of a diverse community of people at work, working toward shared goals, with mutual respect and accountability in a fast-paced environment.
- Personal qualities of capacity for learning, reflection and self-criticism, humility and sense of humor.
**Location: Flexible. This selected candidate must have the ability to legally work in one of NRGI's registered offices without visa sponsorship ( Ghana, Indonesia, Peru, Tanzania, United Kingdom, United States)***
The responsibilities of this role are subject to modifications as required by the needs of the organization.
Working Environment: Full-time position, official hours are from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; flexibility required when extended hours are needed to meet deliverables.
NRGI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NRGI considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
***No recruiters or agencies, please. No calls or emails.***